List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Upcoming KDE-1.1 Release
From:       Kurt Granroth <granroth () kde ! org>
Date:       1998-10-13 0:15:13

On Mon, Oct 12, 1998 at 01:45:25PM +0200, KDE Core Team wrote:
> The new KDE will be a component system, using Corba as one of its base
> technologies.

Coooool.  How is this going to be done?  Are we going to replace
'KApplication' with 'KomApplication' (or something similar) and, thus,
make ALL KDE apps 'CORBA ready' automagically?  Or will it be a more
arduous upgrade path.

I'm especially curious because I've been investigating 'CORBAsizing'
kbiff and I'm wondering now if it would be worth it just to wait until
the base libs have CORBA enabled.

I guess what I'm asking is: What effect will this have on existing (non-
CORBAsized) apps.

> KDE NG will be much more component centered than the current one - Corba
> being the base object technology.

Specifically, will KOM be the base object technology?  Or will generic
'CORBA' be the base and KOM be an optional upgrade?

> The KDE Core Team (In alphabetic order):
[snipped]

How does one get on this "Team"?
--
Kurt Granroth