List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Question about automake stuff....
From:       Kalle Dalheimer <kalle () dalheimer ! de>
Date:       1998-09-15 6:02:06

Graham TerMarsch:
>Burkhard Lehner wrote:
>> > - As well, when trying to do a 'make dist' in order to wrap everything up into
>> > a tarball I noticed that it'd never quite get the automoc stuff done right.
>> > After fussing with it all for a while I went into my root Makefile.am and
>> > added 'SOURCES=automoc' I managed to get it to actually include automoc into
>> > the tarball, but I still can't get it to actually figure out that all of the
>> > .moc.cpp files need to be generated and linked in.  I tried looking in a bunch
>> > of the tarballs that are out there to see if I could find any other
>> > information, but I either didn't see what I was looking for or missed it
>> > entirely.  If someone could point me in the right direction it'd be greatly
>> > appreciated.
>>
>> The "make dist" stuff is broken, and noone seems to have an idea how to
>> correct that.
>
>Hmmmm.....now that doesn't help guys!  :(
>
>> Someone told me to use "make distclean", delete the ".depend" directories
>> manually and then tar and gz.
>
>Heard that from several people so far.  Thanks for the input.
>
>> Is there a way to get the "make dist" working again? I really liked that
>> VERY much!
>
>Well, if anyone has any idea as to which script it is that generates the 'make
>dist' part, I'd be willing to try to get my nose in there and figure out how
>to fix it.  Makes lots of sense to me that if you can just go "make dist" that
>it should work.  And, would save an absolute ton of time as opposed to having
>to wrap the whole thing up by hand.  FWIW I've got a full copy of the docs
>that're out floating around on the net for autoconf/automake.  Worth reading,
>but not too much meaty information in there as to some of the other 'cool'
>things that can be done with it; seems that the acinclude.m4 file that's been
>floating around for a few years includes a whole ton of stuff that wasn't
>outlined in the docs to begin with.

The main thing that needs to be fixed is that all files that are not mentioned
in the source and header lines, must be mentioned in EXTRADIST, lest they don't
get into the distribution. This is just a boring and long job to ensure, but it
really gets difficult for the few directories where we don't have Makefile.am's
yet. I tried to make everything make dist-able for KDE 1.0, but miserably
failed when it came to KFloppy and KDVI.

Kalle

--
Kalle Dalheimer              Contract programming for Unix
kalle@dalheimer.de           Technical writing