List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: What is Kencoder...
From:       "Russ Steffen" <rsteffen () ia ! net>
Date:       1998-07-07 23:21:17

On 07-Jul-98, COMMEROT Sami wrote:
[snip]
> Hello,
> It depends on the type of wav files and the bitrate :
> go to www.8hz.com      and see the page where they compare it with other
> mp3 encoders.
> With l3enc, a 16 bit-44100Hz wav file of 1 minutes takes about  15-20
> minutes.
> With 8hz-mp3 , 4 min,  but 8hz-mp3 is not shareware and the resulting
> mp3 file is smaller than with l3enc , and the sound quality is the same
> : high quality. Why? Because 8hz-mp3 is free :)

Hmmm, that hasn't been my experience with l2enc and 8hz-mp3 at all. They
both compress at about the same speed (~1min of audio = ~10min to compress) on
my machine (K6-200). l3enc makes smaller files, because the shareware version
is capped at a lower bitrate, 112kbps, and hence slightly lower quality.

Russ