List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KDE beta4 on AIX 4.1.5 (fwd)
From:       Stephan Kulow <coolo () itm ! mu-luebeck ! de>
Date:       1998-05-27 7:44:49

Forwarded message:
>From Jochen.Stein@o-tel-o.de  Wed May 27 09:23:19 1998
From: Jochen.Stein@o-tel-o.de
To: coolo@kde.org
Date: 	Wed, 27 May 1998 09:24:15 +0100
Subject: KDE beta4 on AIX 4.1.5

Hallo,

pls forward to appropiate KDE-mailing list (I am not subscribed).

Thanks.

I used AIX 4.1.5, egcs 1.0.2, libstdc++ 2.8.0.0 and libg++ 2.8.0.0 for
building
parts of KDE beta4. Apart from the normal ./configure; make I had to:

1. Edit kdebase/../ftp.h and kdebase/../slave.h to #include <sys/select.h>
2. Use -mminimal-toc as additional CXXFLAG  (kdebase and kdesupport)
3. The test for usleep failed, because it involved linking with -ldl, which
didn't have. Edited config.h manually.
4. Used make LIBS="" to avoid linking with -ldl.
5. Skipped kvt (undefined RLIMIT_NOFILE, no further investigation)
6. Skipped kdehelp because of same iostream-problem as Bernd Finger.
7. Skipped kdm (I forgot to note the error, can't probably use it anyway
with
DCE)

KDE seems to run ok, only some remarks:
1. Screenlock with password doesn't work, probable cause DCE
2. Focus-Follows-Mouse has sometimes difficulty moving the
focus from one window to another (timing problem?)

I couldn't install more KDE parts, ran out of diskspace quickly, due to
the fact that Qt has no aix-gcc-shared target and the aix-xlc-shared
target doesn't mix with gcc compiled KDE.

Jochen
jst@writeme.com

--
Stephan Kulow (coolo@kde.org)