List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Docking issue:
From:       "Russ Steffen" <rsteffen () ia ! net>
Date:       1998-01-01 12:40:23

On 31-Dec-97, Preston Brown <pbrown@econ.yale.edu> wrote:
> Last, the little "docked" icons on the taskbar are considered one of the
> WORST features of Win95 (from the viewpoint of a consistent user
> interface) by the "User Interface Hall of Shame," a sight our own kde.org
> points us to for design tips and inspiration.

Well, after reading that section of the UI Hall of Shame, it seems to me that
their biggest gripe is that the docked icons are used inconsistantly, and that they
always look like static images, not user-interface objects. Those problems are not
insurmountable.

One thing that they rip on, that KDE has a lot of, are "mouse sensitive" items, like
the menubar (in Win95-style), the toolbars, and the buttons in kpanel. Those are
regarded as useless features that add no functionality to the UI, and may serve
to distract the user.

Russ