List:       kde-devel
Subject:    KProcess compile problems: need data points
From:       Christian Czezatke <e9025461 () student ! tuwien ! ac ! at>
Date:       1998-01-01 13:14:36

Hi!

Every now and then I keep getting reports concerning compile problems of
kprocess. -- In that case the compilation bails out with the following
error message in kprocess.cpp. (Messages are accurate for KDE Beta2
sources):

kprocess.cpp: In method `bool KProcess::normalExit()':
kprocess.cpp:227: member `status' is a private member of class `KProcess'
kprocess.cpp: In method `int KProcess::exitStatus()':
kprocess.cpp:234: member `status' is a private member of class `KProcess'
make[2]: *** [kprocess.lo] Error 1

>From kprocess.cpp:

bool KProcess::normalExit()  {
  return (pid != 0) && (!runs) && (WIFEXITED(status));  }

int KProcess::exitStatus()  {
  return WEXITSTATUS(status);
}

So the problems are the WIFEXITED and the WEXITSTATUS functions. IMHO this
error message is a problem with the compiler (and/or libc?) and not a
problem of KProcess. -- So simply solving the problem by making "status"
public is probably not a good idea. (And it is already "protected" in
recent KDE snapshots...)

So I would ask the KDE developer (and user) community do provide me with
as many data points as possible on the following issues:

+) which compiler in which version are you using (gcc/egcs)?

+) which version of libc are you using (especially of interest
   if you are using glibc)?

+) which platform are you running on (intel/Alpha/PowerPC etc...)?

+) Did you try to compile KDE Beta2 from sources. -- If so,
   did kprocess.cpp compile fine for you?

+) Did you try to compile a more recent KDE snapshot (which includes
   kprocess 0.3)? -- If so, did kprocess.cpp compile fine for you?

Just FYI: I _suspect_ that the problem only emerges with the following
combination:

+) glibc 2.05
+) egcs 1.0
+) intel platform

Please send the reports directly to me (e9025461@student.tuwien.ac.at)
since there is no need to bother all the other developers on this mailing
list with this issue.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

     Christian

| Christian Czezatke, Student of Computer Science at the Vienna    |
| University Of Technology.                                        |
| email: e9025461@student.tuwien.ac.at                             |