List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Audio Server available
From:       Christian Esken <chris () magicon ! prima ! ruhr ! de>
Date:       1997-07-30 23:48:34

> Another idea:
>
> it would be nice to have a support for sounds that are installed on the server
> (if it is not possible up to now - I only took a quick look at the code).

Hmm, I am feeling a bit stupid today. Just cannot figure out what you could mean. #-)
("Brettt vorm Kopf", in german).

Perhaps I will just explain things:

The whole maudio/kaudioserver thing does not move audio streams around, it
currently(!) relies on the fact, that client AND maudio AND kaudioserver run
on the same machine and have access to the same filesystem.

client        asks kaudioserver (in fact just a C++ class embedded in your
              source) to play a file.
kaudioserver  asks maudio via SHM to play the audiofile "/give/full/path/audio.wav"
              via libmediatool, which facilates SHM (currently) or to
              preload ONE file for faster access on subsequent play commands.
maudio        is in fact the "real" audio server. The only thing I could build
              in here today is to preload more than one audio file. Currently you can
              only preload a single audio file.

> Would decrease network load and is probably very easy to implement.

It is today(!) not network capable at all. Only the "preload" thing could
reduce network load, if the file system with the audio files are NFS
mounted.

Bye,
  Chris

--
Christian Esken                                 (chris@magicon.prima.ruhr.de)

Computer Science Student at the University of Dortmund, Germany

Lehrstuhl fuer grafische Systeme       (esken@ls7.informatik.uni-dortmund.de)