List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KPlugins - summary
From:       Richard Moore <moorer () manatee ! cs ! man ! ac ! uk>
Date:       1997-05-13 12:23:16

> As i've wrote in former mail, please think one step further, about
> a macro language access to application. The kind of language should be
> a secondary problem; but kparts should offer more functionality for
> access of "kobjects" features than load/save/print:
>
>  - text plugin:  goto_begin_of_line, insert_date
>  - table plugin: fill_row_with_value, summ_of_row
>  - image plugin: dither_gray
>
> I don't know if i'm right, whether this should be part of kparts, but
> for getting full power of an application, we need a macro language.
> Think about a drawing widget, which will be driven by an html rederer
> macro - HTML Editor. This is one we could learn by microsoft!

I think the best way to start this is to provide access to the slots used by
apps to connect to kkeyconfig as there should be one slot per operation the
app can perform, if we provided a way to call these slots from a script then
we will have our scripting language. The only problem is that where ever the
app asks the user for data we need a way to provide it from the script instead.
 Rich.

| Richard Moore                         | Email: moorer@cs.man.ac.uk    |
| IT301, Computer Science dept.,        | Phone: (0161) 225 4319 (home) |
| University of Manchester, Oxford Rd., |        (0161) 275 6270 (work) |
| Manchester, M13 9PL                   |        (0161) 275 6280 (fax)  |