List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Markdown Tools - Request for a Sponsor
From:       Benson Muite <benson_muite () emailplus ! org>
Date:       2024-03-17 15:54:31

On 17/03/2024 13.25, Igor Mironchik wrote:

> On 17.03.2024 10:33, Benson Muite wrote:
>>>
>>> Do we have any C/C++ Open Source Parser for AsciiDoc? Fully-featured,
>>> tested...
>>>
>> Not at present unfortunately. Main implementation is Ruby, which can be
>> compiled to Javascript or a Java library. There is also a Python
>> implementation and ongoing work to produce Haskell and Rust
>> implementations.
>

> Well, by mistake I wrote md4qt. I know what this work is (parse Markup
> languages). It's not so trivial task, and it needs a lot of time to
> write and test such things. But I didn't say no. If I have md4qt, where
> I have Document for a tree representation, I can have a look at AsciiDoc
> and write something like asciidoc4qt, that will use the same structures
> for parsed document. In this case we can use absolutely the same
> converter to PDF.
>
> I can start such thing. Ok. Does AsciiDoc have well documented format?
Yes.
> Does it have a set of tests?
>
> I don't know how complicated AsciiDoc format is, maybe it's simpler of
> Markdown?

It is more complicated than Markdown as it is more complete and allows
for some self-consistent extensibility.
> Markdown, despite its apparent simplicity, is a little complicated in
> implementation. I've made 356 commits to implement and test it, and
> spent some time for it, but it worth it.
>
> In case of markdown-tools, if it will support CommonMark 0.31.2 with
> major GFM and latest AsciiDoc, will you accept my project?

Cannot answer whether the project will be accepted, am not a sponsor.
It seems you are following the  review process.

There is a lack of tools for AsciiDoc, but would not make that the
primary concern.  If it can be done, it would be nice, but it seems
challenging.