List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: flathub now supports <developer> tag, but which id to use for KDE? (was: Re: Defining a develope
From:       "Friedrich W. H. Kossebau" <kossebau () kde ! org>
Date:       2024-02-26 18:19:58

Am Donnerstag, 22. Februar 2024, 15:58:53 CET schrieb Friedrich W. H.
Kossebau:
> Am Dienstag, 30. Januar 2024, 18:34:46 CET schrieb Timothée Ravier:
> > Hi folks,
> >
> > Flathub is now requiring that applications define a "developer_name" tag
> > in
> > their metadata (see [1], [2]).
> >
> > What do folks think would be a good value for our application there?
> >
> > Based on the suggestion in the documentation [3], I started making PRs [4]
> > [5] [6] [7] for our KDE Apps with "The KDE Community" as the
> > "developer_name" tag.
>
> Seems meanwhile flathub maintainers have resolved that on their side, and
> now also support the non-deprecatd <developer> tag, by what I learned in MR
> https://invent.kde.org/utilities/okteta/-/merge_requests/22
>
> The proposed patch there raises another question here though and some tasks:
> --- 8< ---
>   <developer id="org.kde">
>     <name translate="no">KDE</name>
>   </developer>
> --- 8< ---
>
> Is "org.kde" (reverse-DNS) to be the official id, and is/could that be
> documented somewhere? accessibility-inspector currently uses even "https://
> kde.org", while others use "kde.org" (non-reverse DNS).
>
> Given the purpose of the id is to be unique per group, this should be
> standardized, no? :)
>
> Confusingly enough one doc talks about "tld.domain" as pattern of the id
> (flathub), while the other talks about "gnome.org" as example (appstream):
>
> https://docs.flathub.org/docs/for-app-authors/metainfo-guidelines/#name-summ
> ary-and-developer-name vs.
> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/chap-Metadata.html#tag-d
> eveloper

Update:

That confusion is now resolved as upstream was in the middle of updating docs.
And appstream docs now also recommend reverse-DNS notation:
--- 8< ---
The element should have a id property, containing a unique ID to identify the
respective developer. It is recommended to use a reverse-DNS name, like
org.gnome or io.github.ximion, or a Fediverse handle (like @user@example.org)
as ID to achieve a higher chance of uniqueness.
--- 8< ---

> Tasks for people into this, please:
>
> a) decide on an id here
>
> b) document that id somewhere
> (e.g. https://develop.kde.org/docs/packaging/flatpak/ ?)

Left a respective note on
  https://invent.kde.org/teams/flathub/issues/-/issues/24#note_880623
and opened
  https://invent.kde.org/teams/flathub/issues/-/issues/25

> c) ask upstream to change the docs to not use "The KDE Community" as
> example, but "KDE" (and with no-translate attribute) in the respective
> docs:
> https://www.freedesktop.org/software/appstream/docs/chap-Metadata.html#tag-> developer

Not sure where to file. I hope the interested parties will see this and act on
it, no time left myself to push things here.

Cheers
Friedrich