List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [announcement] ATTENTION PLASMA THEME, WIDGET, & ADD-ON DEVELOPERS
From:       "Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss" <joseph () kde ! org>
Date:       2024-02-26 10:25:39

Hi Christian,

On 2/24/24 22:41, Christian wrote:
> tl;dr: the experience for third party developers is, at least in my opinion,
> sub par, the documenation far from sufficient and this can be quite frustrating.
> I don't want to point fingers and I know that people doing all of this are
> volunteers, too. Just trying to give KDE developers an insight from a third
> party extension dev.
>
> I hope that things will get better over time and with more people on plasma 6
> and more documentation available, and I will try my best to still be able to
> port my plasmoid over in a decent timeframe, definitely not ready for release
> though. And given I already started a while ago (given people asked on GitHub
> for me to port it), I assume other devs catching your e-mail now won't be even
> nearly ready for release.

Thank you for your feedback! I am sure things will improve over time,
and feedback, including criticism, help identify which areas need work.

I won't be able to assist with the technical issues, unfortunately. I am
just the messenger here :/ Nevertheless, I am replying to encourage you
and others to continue to help improve KDE's documentation for
thrd-party devs, either directly by contributing to the relevant
documents when you can, or by provide ongoing constructive feedback to
help others do so!

> That aside, I am looking forward to the plasma 6 release (I definitely won't
> switch myself before 6.1 / 6.2), and I wish us all great success and I want to
> send a huge thank you out to all developers, documentation writers, designers
> and all other helpful people whose work will make this big release possible.

Thank you for the kind words, and thank you for your contributions to
make KDE the best software it can be! :)

Cheers,
Joseph

--
Joseph P. De Veaugh-Geiss
KDE Internal Communications & KDE Eco Community Manager

Generally available Monday-Thursday from 10-16h CET/CEST. Outside of
these times it may take a little longer for me to respond.

KDE Eco: Building Energy-Efficient Free Software!
Website: https://eco.kde.org
Mastodon: @be4foss@floss.social