List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Interest in building an LLM frontend for KDE
From:       Carl Schwan <carl () carlschwan ! eu>
Date:       2023-12-02 14:07:56

On Friday, December 1, 2023 5:44:26?AM CET Andre Heinecke wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Friday, 01 December 2023 03:53:22 CET Loren Burkholder wrote:
> > they can be quite useful for tasks like programming.
>
> I need it desperately for intelligent spellchecking / grammar fixes ??
>
> > Should we be joining the mainstream push to put AI into everything or
> > should we stand apart and let Microsoft have its fun focusing on AI
> > instead of potentially more useful features? I don't recall seeing any
> > discussion about this before (at least not here), so I think those are
> > all questions that should be fairly considered before development on a
> > KDE LLM frontend begins.
> I don't think so. I have the slight feeling that you want to start an
> abstract discussion here and then magically the "KDE Community" will
> develop something. Just do it or don't. It will always be in the users
> freedom to use it or not. I would love to have an optional KMail plugin
> that interacts with an LLM. Others might not ??????

I just want to point out that KMail has via KTextAddons already integration
with many AI technology both online and local. This is not enabled by default
and for many of the plugins this needs some extra configuration (e.g. API key)
to work.

For translations, KTextAddons supports bergamot (local and open source),
libretranslate (local and open source) as well yandex, deepl, bing, google and
lingva.

For grammar checks, KTextAddons supports languagetool (open core and self
hostable), grammalecte (open source but only for french).

For speech to text, KTextAddons supports whishper (local and open source),
vosk (local and open source) and google

For text to speech, KTextAddons uses QTextToSpeech underneath which uses a
varieties of local backend: https://doc.qt.io/qt-6/qttexttospeech-engines.html

More details can be found in the repo
https://invent.kde.org/libraries/ktextaddons/

KTextAddons is currently used in Ruqola and the KDE PIM apps and I was hoping
to at some point also find the time to add it to some QML app. Laurent already
did some work to separete the core part from the widgets parts.

Cheers,
Carl