List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Looking for an SVGDOM / other SVG library for use with C++ and CMake.
From:       David Hurka <david.hurka () mailbox ! org>
Date:       2021-06-12 18:00:46

On Saturday, June 12, 2021 3:27:47 PM CEST Milian Wolff wrote:
> Don't use QDomDocument, Qt XML is deprecated. Use QXmlStreamReader instead.

I still can't find any indication that Qt XML is deprecated. Why do people
believe that? It says:

> Note: Qt XML will no longer receive additional features. ...

But this is just a symptom of DOM. Elsewhere the documentation says:

> As SAX classes have been removed from Qt XML, QDomDocument has been
> re-implemented using QXmlStreamReader. This causes a few behavioral changes:
>
> [list of changes]
>
> If you use QDomDocument and rely on any of these, you must update your
> code and XML documents accordingly.

If Qt XML really becomes deprecated one day, I can just use another DOM
implementation without changing my algorithms. :)

So, as long as my code is not finished and shows performance problems, I will
use QDomDocument.

---

> Alternatively, why not write a simple script for this using Python e.g.? You
> could even use XSLT for this purpose. I don't quite see what you need C++
> for here, personally.

My project is written in C++, and needs to interface this functionality. So, a
library with a C++ interface would be convenient.

Transforming the SVG file with XSLT to a list of text occurences sounds like a
good idea.

Cheers, David