List:       kde-frameworks-devel
Subject:    Re: Information regarding upcoming Gitlab Migration
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2020-04-28 9:44:39

Um, guys… Google is your friend...

I am a former KDE Games developer. I play KPatience quite a lot, as well as other \
games to keep my brain active, especially during COVID-19 lockdown. Recently I \
thought I could see where the answer lay to three bugs in the solver(s), two in the \
Forty Eight variant and one, very recently reported, in the Klondike variant. So I \
thought I would have a look at the source code to see if my hypotheses might be \
correct and maybe work out a patch.

My first problem was to track down where the repos that I need are and how to clone \
read-only copies. I didn't even know what websites they are on any more and KPatience \
is actually called kpat in the code (which I remembered). However I can google \
"source code KDE KPatience" and the pat repository comes up as the first hit, \
presumably because "KPatience" is used in the repository's description. Again "… \
card games" got the repo as hit 2 and "… solitaire" (the American term for such \
games) got it as the first hit.

I have also found that several of the tricky cases mentioned earlier in this thread \
can be resolved with Google search terms beginning "source code KDE xxx". For \
example, seeing xxx as "Plasma Mobile" get the repo as hit 2. And just using "go" as \
xxx finds the Kigo repository as hit 3. Even a search with xxx = "loderunner" finds \
the KGoldRunner repository as hit 1, even though Loderunner is not mentioned in the \
repository's description. I wonder how far down repositories Google indexing goes. \
Even using xxx = "lode runner" (2 words), as suggested by Google, finds the \
KGoldrunner Handbook, though not the repository. Still, a smart newbie might guess \
the name used for that type of game in KDE and refine his source code search \
accordingly.

Even after I found the kpat repository, I could not understand where the souce code \
was getting the card decks it uses. I knew from memory that they are in some library \
somewhere, but there is no libkdecards. Googling with xxx = something like "library \
cards" found the cards as a sub-directory of the libkdegames repository.

So my suggestion is to keep whatever categories you like, including multiple \
categories as required, as long as the category names are in plain English, not KDE \
jargon. In addition, please continue to pepper repository descriptions with search \
terms (words) that are easy for laymen and non-core KDE developers to find.

Another possibility is to construct (automatically) a text-file "catalog" with one \
line for each of the 1000+ repositories, containing (at least) the repo name and \
description, but maybe other keywords. Then people could just "grep" and "sort" it to \
find what they wanted.

My 2 cents,
Ian Wadham.