List:       kde-frameworks-devel
Subject:    Re: CI system maintainability
From:       David Jarvie <djarvie () kde ! org>
Date:       2019-03-28 14:56:27

On 28 March 2019 13:33:59 GMT, laurent Montel <montel@kde.org> wrote:
> Le jeudi 28 mars 2019, 09:29:22 CET Kevin Ottens a écrit :
> > Hello,
> >
> > On Thursday, 28 March 2019 09:16:11 CET Ben Cooksley wrote:
> > > Please note that the commits in this instance were pushed without
> > > review, so restrictions on merge requests wouldn't make a
> difference
> > > in this case unfortunately.
> >
> > Maybe it's about time to make reviews mandatory... I know it's
> unpopular in
> > KDE, and I advocated for "don't force a tool if you can get someone
> to look
> > at your screen or pair with you" in the past. Clearly this
> compromise gets
> > somewhat exploited and that's especially bad in the case of a
> fragile and
> > central component like KDE PIM.
> >
> > Regards.
>
> Hi,
>
> I am against to force mandatory review, as it will create a lot of
> lose of
> time, and we will not be sure that review is correct (see comment from
> Volker
> about "transaction lock regression")
>
> It's necessary to having a big team for doing it.
>
> Ok a repo was broken, but it was just that fix was created in master
> not
> 19.04, I didn't see nobody on IRC told us "this package is always
> broken",
> when I saw it this morning I just cherry pick (2 seconds for fixing
> it).
>

> For example I works all days on kde (pim or other) when I wake up, or
> at noon
> after my lunch or the evening, I will not wait several days for a
> review
> because nobody has time to do it. (we can see a review from zanshin
> for
> example https://phabricator.kde.org/D16210 we can see that David
> waited 2
> months until having an answer...).
>
> (For example I make ~ 15 commits by days on pim/ruqola/framework, I
> don't want
> to wait several days/weeks until someone wants to review my patchs)
>
> I will not lose my time to review some code that I don't understand...
> I never
> reviewed Akonadi patch as I don't understand this code, and I will
> take time
> on it just for the pleasure as I prefer fixing bug or adding new
> features in
> components that I maintain.
>
> When we have a big team as Qt team it can help but in pim component
> where we
> don't have any redundant guy, we will lose a lot of time.
>
> So for each increase version for each package I will wait a review.
> For sure
> not.
>
> Each time that I will improve code as coding style I will wait that
> someone
> wants to review...

I agree. Mandatory reviews might work if there is a team of active people working on \
a project, but if there is only one person with real knowledge of the code, or there \
is nobody else with much time to spare, who is going to do the review? It is likely \
to just sit waiting indefinitely. If getting code reviewed is too difficult, the \
developer may have to give up and abandon the project.

Mandatory reviewing could only work if individual projects can decide whether to \
adopt it or not.

--
David Jarvie
KAlarm author, KDE developer