On 28 March 2019 13:33:59 GMT, laurent Montel wrote: > Le jeudi 28 mars 2019, 09:29:22 CET Kevin Ottens a =C3=A9crit : > > Hello, > >=20 > > On Thursday, 28 March 2019 09:16:11 CET Ben Cooksley wrote: > > > Please note that the commits in this instance were pushed without > > > review, so restrictions on merge requests wouldn't make a > difference > > > in this case unfortunately=2E > >=20 > > Maybe it's about time to make reviews mandatory=2E=2E=2E I know it's > unpopular in > > KDE, and I advocated for "don't force a tool if you can get someone > to look > > at your screen or pair with you" in the past=2E Clearly this > compromise gets > > somewhat exploited and that's especially bad in the case of a > fragile and > > central component like KDE PIM=2E > >=20 > > Regards=2E >=20 > Hi, >=20 > I am against to force mandatory review, as it will create a lot of > lose of=20 > time, and we will not be sure that review is correct (see comment from > Volker=20 > about "transaction lock regression") >=20 > It's necessary to having a big team for doing it=2E >=20 > Ok a repo was broken, but it was just that fix was created in master > not=20 > 19=2E04, I didn't see nobody on IRC told us "this package is always > broken",=20 > when I saw it this morning I just cherry pick (2 seconds for fixing > it)=2E >=20 >=20 > For example I works all days on kde (pim or other) when I wake up, or > at noon=20 > after my lunch or the evening, I will not wait several days for a > review=20 > because nobody has time to do it=2E (we can see a review from zanshin > for=20 > example https://phabricator=2Ekde=2Eorg/D16210 we can see that David > waited 2=20 > months until having an answer=2E=2E=2E)=2E >=20 > (For example I make ~ 15 commits by days on pim/ruqola/framework, I > don't want=20 > to wait several days/weeks until someone wants to review my patchs) >=20 > I will not lose my time to review some code that I don't understand=2E= =2E=2E > I never=20 > reviewed Akonadi patch as I don't understand this code, and I will > take time=20 > on it just for the pleasure as I prefer fixing bug or adding new > features in=20 > components that I maintain=2E >=20 > When we have a big team as Qt team it can help but in pim component > where we=20 > don't have any redundant guy, we will lose a lot of time=2E >=20 > So for each increase version for each package I will wait a review=2E > For sure=20 > not=2E >=20 > Each time that I will improve code as coding style I will wait that > someone=20 > wants to review=2E=2E=2E I agree=2E Mandatory reviews might work if there is a team of active peopl= e working on a project, but if there is only one person with real knowledge= of the code, or there is nobody else with much time to spare, who is going= to do the review? It is likely to just sit waiting indefinitely=2E If gett= ing code reviewed is too difficult, the developer may have to give up and a= bandon the project=2E Mandatory reviewing could only work if individual projects can decide whet= her to adopt it or not=2E -- David Jarvie KAlarm author, KDE developer http://www=2Eastrojar=2Eorg=2Euk/kalarm