List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Gitlab Evaluation & Migration
From:       Ben Cooksley <bcooksley () kde ! org>
Date:       2019-02-23 19:03:20

On Sun, Feb 24, 2019 at 4:56 AM Boudewijn Rempt <boud@valdyas.org> wrote:

> On zaterdag 23 februari 2019 14:49:25 CET Konstantin Kharlamov wrote:
>
> > As someone who uses gitlab on a dayjob I can tell it's pretty easy too.
> > With disregard to server interface you do `git push my-fork HEAD`,
> > right? Now, when you push to gitlab server, you get in the git output a
> > link that refers to creating a merge request to upstream. You just
> > click it, and then in a browser press "Ok".
>
> No, you misunderstand me. In the first place, we've got a lot of people in our \
> community who wouldn't understand a single word of that paragraph. What they \
> understand is
> * clone the repo
> * hack
> * type 'git diff > mydiff.diff'
> * upload the diff for review
> * add a bit of text explaining the change
> * wait for me or dmitry to look at their patches
>
> They don't have push access to kde's git server at all, so I guess 'git push \
> my-fork HEAD' won't work in any case.

The workflow in this case will be slightly different, but should be a
very familiar workflow for those coming from a Github world.

1) Login to invent.kde.org, fork the repository there into your
personal namespace
2) Clone the forked repository to your local system
3) Hack
4) Commit and push your changes to the forked repository
5) Follow the link in the push to create the merge request, adding all
the necessary commentary around it
6) Wait for review

Once you're happy with it you can integrate it by merging it from the
web interface (so no need to download and apply the patch locally)

Of course you'll still have the option of fetching their changes and
reviewing them on your local machine should you wish.
More documentation on merge requests is available at
https://invent.kde.org/help/user/project/merge_requests/index.md

> --
> https://www.valdyas.org | https://www.krita.org

Cheers,