List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Could we enable Travis-CI on our github mirrors?
From:       Harald Sitter <sitter () kde ! org>
Date:       2016-04-21 7:32:44

On Wed, Apr 20, 2016 at 6:42 PM, Elvis Angelaccio
<elvis.angelaccio@kdemail.net> wrote:
> Hi,
> as many of you already know, KDE has a github mirror in place at [1].
> I've been playing with travis-ci [2] and I was surprised by how easy to use
> and how well integrated with github is.
>
> I think it would be nice to have travis builds for the (mirrored)
> repositories that provides a .travis.yml configuration file. The builds
> would run on the travis servers, so no additional overload on the KDE
> infrastructure. There is also virtually nothing to do for KDE sysadmins. The
> project's maintainer is the one in charge to setup the travis configuration
> file (if he wants to), in order to have working builds.
>
> Would this be possible from a technical p.o.v.? I think the KDE github
> account would have to register on the travis website and "sync" its github
> repositories - that's what I had to do with my personal github account.
>
> The use cases could be many. For example, on travis I can install optional
> dependencies that are not available on our Jenkins installation. More
> details in this post [3].
>

> What do you think?

Just have the main devs do a double push to an unoffical mirror...

$ cat .git/config | grep pushurl
       pushurl = kde:releaseme
       pushurl = git@github.com:apachelogger/releaseme.git

FWIW, I find it sad that as a community we apparently don't have
enough integrity so we can enable support for a third party CI tool
without having it undermine our tool, which just BTW doesn't even play
in the same league as far as large scale stack integration goes.
What sort of culture is that anyway where we stand in the way of devs
trying to make things more awesome because of "oh but this might maybe
will happen". I am so incredibly disappointed.

HS