List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Could we enable Travis-CI on our github mirrors?
From:       Ben Cooksley <bcooksley () kde ! org>
Date:       2016-04-21 1:05:31

On Thu, Apr 21, 2016 at 10:05 AM, Elvis Angelaccio
<elvis.angelaccio@kdemail.net> wrote:

>> Il giorno Wed, 20 Apr 2016 18:42:31 +0200
>> Elvis Angelaccio <elvis.angelaccio@kdemail.net> ha scritto:
>>
>> > I think it would be nice to have travis builds for the (mirrored)
>> > repositories that provides a .travis.yml configuration file. The
>>
>> -1. Aside the arguments moved by Albert, I add that the solution is
>> finding ways to help whoever is working on CI rather than offloading to
>> another service we do not control.
>

> I don't see it as an offloading. More like a nice bonus to have. If it
> works, good. If not (because it breaks and we don't have control on it), who
> cares.
> In a way, one could argue this is similar to the telegram case. We don't
> have control over telegram either, but it works for some people and it's not
> replacing the main communication channels. So it's just a nice addition to
> have.

I see it as a point of complication, which will add confusion to our
existing infrastructure.
It will also increase workload on Sysadmin, as projects will have to
request it to be enabled, and undoubtedly people will want things to
be fixed by us or otherwise supported by us once they begin using it.

We therefore will not be enabling any support for Travis or other
services which integrate with Github.

All CI integration will be done using our existing CI system, build.kde.org.
Issues with it's functionality should be rectified there.

>> Also, another -1 from me is because I don't think we should use GitHub
>> more than a mere mirror.
>

> It would still remain a mere mirror imho, i.e. strictly read-only. Btw do we
> have some written rule about our github presence somewhere? It seems to me
> that some KDE project uses github as their main development platform.

Urls to those projects which "appear" to be using Github as their
primary development platform would be appreciated.

Use of Github for anything other than mirror purposes, especially if
it is being pushed as the primary means of making contributions is
strictly prohibited under the Manifesto. The projects included above
can expect to hear from Sysadmin and will be requested to provide an
explanation of their activities there to both us and
kde-community@kde.org.

>> --
>> Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
>> GPG key ID: A29D259B