List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Could we enable Travis-CI on our github mirrors?
From:       Elvis Angelaccio <elvis.angelaccio () kdemail ! net>
Date:       2016-04-20 21:00:26

> El dimecres, 20 d'abril de 2016, a les 18:42:31 CEST, Elvis Angelaccio va
> escriure:
> > Hi,
> > as many of you already know, KDE has a github mirror in place at [1].
> > I've been playing with travis-ci [2] and I was surprised by how easy to
> use
> > and how well integrated with github is.
> >
> > I think it would be nice to have travis builds for the (mirrored)
> > repositories that provides a .travis.yml configuration file. The builds
> > would run on the travis servers, so no additional overload on the KDE
> > infrastructure. There is also virtually nothing to do for KDE sysadmins.
> > The project's maintainer is the one in charge to setup the travis
> > configuration file (if he wants to), in order to have working builds.
> >
> > Would this be possible from a technical p.o.v.? I think the KDE github
> > account would have to register on the travis website and "sync" its
> github
> > repositories - that's what I had to do with my personal github account.
> >
> > The use cases could be many. For example, on travis I can install
> optional
> > dependencies that are not available on our Jenkins installation. More
> > details in this post [3].
> >

> > What do you think?
>
> I don't see the point in having two CI systems, just help improve the one
> we
> have.
>
> If you need dependencies, why did you start a new CI system instead of
> asking
> for the dependendies to be installed?

Well I did ask, but those deps are not available in the Ubuntu repositories
currently used by Jenkins.
Maybe a solution could be to install them from source/manually, but that
requires work from the sysadmins, who have already enough in their plate.

I did not start a new CI, I was basically playing with travis for fun. But
then it turned out that it could solve an issue I have. The travis
infrastrucure is already there, why not use it if one or more projects
could benefit? Seems a win-win to me.

> Cheers,
>   Albert

Cheers,