List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: I developed a workaround for Qt5.4 DND bug that KDE apps might need
From:       Frank Reininghaus <frank78ac () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2016-01-20 22:16:31

Hi,

> On Sat, Jan 16, 2016 at 6:20 PM, Kevin Krammer wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Saturday, 2016-01-16, 12:43:53, PCMan wrote:
>>
>> > Since DND is crucial for a modern desktop environment and it's an
>> > upstream
>> > bug, I believe that KDE is also affected.
>> > Luckily I found some quick workarounds, so I'm gonna share it with you.
>> >
>> > https://github.com/lxde/pcmanfm-qt/pull/295/files
>> >
>> > I made it an independent C++ class which is licensed under LGPL, so it
>> > can
>> > easily be reused by other Qt projects.
>> > Just add two lines in your main() and it will work automagically.
>> >
>> > The bug still exists in Qt 5.5 and it's not yet fixed in Qt upstream.
>>
>> Sorry, this may be a stupid question: is this a proper fix or more like a
>> hack?
>
> It's a quick hack rather than a proper fix.
> The pusepose of this hack is simple.
> Make it work for the window period before the users get the latest Qt which
> contain a proper fix.
>

>> If the former, has it been submitted upstream?
>
> There's a patch in the Qt bug tracker, but nobody tests it.
> The bug is left there for quite some time.
> Even if it's fixed, for distributions like Debian, it takes ages for the
> users to get the update.
> So it's good to have some workaround. :-)

First of all, thanks for sharing the workaround! I'm not familiar with
the X11 drag&drop stuff, so I cannot comment on it.

You said that a patch is in the Qt bug tracker, but all I could find
with a bit of searching is a link to this Chromium report, which has a
patch:

Is that the patch you mean? Do you know if it has been submitted for
review to Qt? If not, do you think that you could make that happen
(since you seem to know quite a bit about drag&drop) or help to make
it happen?

Thanks,
Frank