List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Beginner tutorials ported to KF5: questions and finishing touches
From:       Olivier Churlaud <olivier () churlaud ! com>
Date:       2016-01-16 12:17:41

Hi,

> Greetings gear heads (I believe we were once called that),
>
> First of all, I want to deeply apologize for having dropped the ball on the
> work to port our tutorials on Techbase to KF5. And I also want to thank Albert
This is exactly what we are going to be working on during the sprint of
March (in CERN).
> for helping me out when I started it.
>
> Anyway, long story short, the five basic tutorials [1] are now based on KF5.
> They are direct ports based on our own porting guidelines. I didn't change
> much by way of content or flow except to update the text with the new classes
> or information. I did, however, take the liberty of renaming two of the
> tutorials (KActions, KCmdLineArgs) to make them less dependent on deprecated
> classes.
>
> I copied the old KDE4 content to backup pages, now suffixed by "/KDE4". [2] I'm
> not to keen on simply deleting information like this as they can probably be
> useful for legacy systems or, at the very least, as historical reference and
> for comparison.
It's what we already thought: just create different namespaces for
different things (archives/kde4/trash/..). Deleting is not an option in
the first place. When everything will be well organized, we'll think
about what to delete and what not to. But for now, it's hard to decide
because it's too... messy :D
> That said, I'm not 100% sure about the accuracy of my ported code, so more
> eyes are much appreciated. The KIO part (saving and loading files) was
> particularly tricky as there wasn't a 1:1 equivalent. And KIO and Jobs are
> still alien to me. The original tutorial also didn't seem to actually save to
> remote paths, only load from them. Likewise, I didn't either. Feature parity!
>
> I'd also like to take the chance to reach out to our translators (hence the
> CC). I have zero idea on how the pages on the wiki are prepared for
> translation. Only the first tutorial seems to have translation markers anyway.
>
> Hopefully, those tutorials could still be of help. I'm not sure if I'll dip my
> toes in the other "Basic ones, as some of them are also past my level. I could
> take it as a chance to learn though. :)
It's a great job you began, I hope that with the sprint, we'll be able
to complete this :)
Are you joining in CERN already? If not, would you be interested to help
remotely?

Whatsoever: Thanks again for this!

Cheers
Olivier