List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Porting tutorials over to KF5
From:       Juan Carlos Torres <carlosdgtorres () gmail ! com>
Date:       2015-09-27 6:08:21

On Sunday, September 20, 2015 10:41:43 PM RISHABH GUPTA wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 20, 2015 at 10:08 PM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:
> > El Dissabte, 19 de setembre de 2015, a les 09:55:17, Juan Carlos Torres va
> >
> > escriure:
> > > Greetings,
> > >
> > > I've started porting some of the "Basics of KDE 4 Programming" tutorials
> > > over to KF5 code[1] just to get the ball rolling on updating our docs.
> >
> > They
> >
> > > are basically just a direct port of the code found in the main
> > > tutorials,
> > > with some annotations and references to porting guides or API docs.
> >
> > Who is the target of these tutorials?
> >
> > I understand it's newbies. If it's for newbies, i think the notes about "
> > no
> > more KApplication" and stuff add confusion instead of clarification,
> > newbies
> > don't care how it used to be coded, they just want to learn how to code.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> >   Albert
> >
> > > Admittedly, I went in half blind since I'm not all that familiar with
> > > development myself. It was for both learning and documenting that
> >
> > process.
> >
> > > The KIO stuff in Saving and Loading was particularly tricky and I'm not
> > > completely sure I did it correctly (It only works with local files, for
> > > one).
> > >
> > > Hoping someone could give those a look and make the necessary
> >
> > corrections.
> >
> > > And maybe then we can fill it up with more meat like the KDE 4 versions.
> > > There are still a lot of stuff in Techbase that probably need dusting up
> > > but I had to start from the beginning and the easiest ones. ;)
> > >

> > > 1.
> > > https://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/First_program/KF5
>
> According to the frameworks porting note
>  https://community.kde.org/Frameworks/Porting_Notes#Message_Box
>
> Kmessage box is no longer a class its  a namespace and all the function
> have been either moved to kdelibs4support as kmessagebox_queued.h or to
> kwidgetsaddons as kmessagebox.h,so i guess instead of including kmessagebox
> we will have to include the above mentioned files .Correct me i am wrong.

Hi,

Thanks for the response and pardon for the late reply.

Yes, it's a namespace for static functions, so the static function
questionYesNo() is under KMessageBox. It still needs kmessagebox.h to be
included because that is where the functions are defined. But it links to
KF5::WidgetAddons (in CMakeLists.txt).

Unless I got that wrong too. :)

--
Regards,