List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: CURRENT build instructions
From:       Valorie Zimmerman <valorie.zimmerman () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-12-30 9:43:25

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 7:10 AM, Will Entriken <fulldecent@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, a new contributor is trying to get set up building KDE. I am having
> trouble guiding them through the build.
>
> Full discussion is here: http://pastebin.com/BRanjLEx
>
> Got very close, but still have a few issues.
>
> CC: to mailing list, and all current mentors
>
> Thank you!
> Will
>
> I have started the KDE mentor program in 2006 because I was frustrated with
> how difficult it was to build the project. Ten years later it is again
> FUBAR. Also, if anyone would like to create a YouTube video of installing
> Ubuntu on a new virtual machine and building KDE from git I will take the
> lead on rewriting **ALL** the KDE Techbase build instructions (which are at
> least 2 years out of date).

I've dealt with a few students with this attitude, and they make me
want to pull my hair out from the roots. To me the problem is not so
much the build instructions, which I agree are outdated, but the
attitude of this student.

In the #gsoc channel in particular students are almost demanding that
one of us tell them what organization to work with, what project they
should work on, etc. I have seen some students come into multiple
channels and ask these same questions. My only response has been to
ask them about their interests, but that seems to get nowhere.

"I know *blank* and *blank*, what should I work on?"

Almost as if they have some script, rather than curiousity and a
desire to collaborate.

I agree that our techbase articles need a lot of cleanup, and that
will help a lot of interested people.

Valorie