List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Jungle and Plasma Media Center
From:       Shantanu Tushar Jha <shantanu () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-07-03 17:31:27

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi folks,

For people who might not have heard of it, Jungle[1][2] is a video player
geared towards movies and TV series which leverages Baloo for search. The
main idea is that sources on the Internet can be used to fetch a lot of
information about such movies and TV series, and that is exactly what
Jungle intends to do.

To me, It makes a lot of sense for something like this to be part of Plasma
Media Center[#] because it is targeted to similar use cases. There are a
lot of advantages if something like Jungle is a PMC backend-

* UI Elements for free - A backend just needs to expose one (or more)
models to PMC and it will take care of playback controls, switching between
modes etc. Exposing more than model automatically creates a tabbed
interface.

* Media workflow management - PMC will take care of playback, playlist
management and other similar things for the backend.

* Backend custom UI - Even though PMC does offer three types of media
browsers (list, grid, and tabbed), if a backend needs to show its own UI
its as easy as exposing a QML element. This is already in use by the Picasa
backend.

* Better experience for users - Instead of installing multiple applications
for different kinds of media, its a much better experience for a KDE user
if we can provide everything at one place. Some users have already
expressed this in comments on [1] and [2].

Additionally, this is not a limited set of features, if there are things
that a backend would need but is not present, PMC would be more than happy
to include those as well.

Given that Randa sprint is upcoming and lot of KDE developers will be
present, it'll be nice if this can be discussed along with the usual
discussions around Jungle. Though none of the PMC contributors will be
physically present due to cost constraints, we'll be more than happy to do
it over some kind of video call.

Sounds like a good idea?

[#] In fact, we already have a backend which categorizes video files
according to not just a fixed pattern but according to a threshold of
similarity <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cosine_similarity> between file
names and paths
https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/multimedia/plasma-mediacenter/repository/revisions/vsrao-seriesbackend/show/browsingbackends/seriesbackend
 The labels are still not generic, but it looks like this
https://i.imgur.com/C48r3nS.jpg http://i.imgur.com/e83yiPk.jpg

[1] https://plus.google.com/+JosPoortvliet/posts/YtiYc4tX3hM
[2] http://vhanda.in/blog/2014/07/jungle-is-coming/

--