List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Should KDED4 run all the time?
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-07-01 2:45:20

Hi Sune,

Thanks for replying, Sune.

On 30/06/2014, at 11:37 PM, Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2014-06-28, Ian Wadham <iandw.au@gmail.com> wrote:
>> When fixing some bugs in the KCrash-DrKonqi sequence on Apple OS X,
>> I have come to a point where Dr Konqi attempts to call kded4, using DBus,
>> and issues a message "Failed to communicate with kded. Make sure it is r=
unning."
> =

> In the kdelibs4.x-age, yes. kded should be running all the time no matter=
 what.

In Linux and a KDE desktop manager, that is fine: kded4 is part of the stru=
cture
of a KDE desktop manager.  But in Apple OS X (or other desktop managers), t=
hat
should not be a requirement, if KDE is to be truly portable.

Other desktop managers have their own ways of handling directory and file c=
hanges,
battery level updates, device mounts, software update registration or whate=
ver.  So
maybe kded4 is not really needed at all on such platforms.

In particular, the absence of kded4 should not prevent a user from reporting
a crash in a KDE application on Apple OS X or any other desktop manager,
should it?  I don't think *anything* should prevent that=85 :-)

I do not think it is reasonable to ask the MacPorts developers to include
kded4 in startup procedures for every user, on the off chance that he or
she will use a KDE app sometime and that app will crash.

So I will proceed to patch around the requirement for kded4 in Dr Konqi in
Apple OS X, unless someone has a better idea or can point out some more
frequent and vital need for kded4 in a non-KDE desktop manager.

> Unfortunately, it isn't refcounting its users so it is running like forev=
er.

Cheers, Ian W.