Hi Sune, Thanks for replying, Sune. On 30/06/2014, at 11:37 PM, Sune Vuorela wrote: > On 2014-06-28, Ian Wadham wrote: >> When fixing some bugs in the KCrash-DrKonqi sequence on Apple OS X, >> I have come to a point where Dr Konqi attempts to call kded4, using DBus, >> and issues a message "Failed to communicate with kded. Make sure it is r= unning." > = > In the kdelibs4.x-age, yes. kded should be running all the time no matter= what. In Linux and a KDE desktop manager, that is fine: kded4 is part of the stru= cture of a KDE desktop manager. But in Apple OS X (or other desktop managers), t= hat should not be a requirement, if KDE is to be truly portable. Other desktop managers have their own ways of handling directory and file c= hanges, battery level updates, device mounts, software update registration or whate= ver. So maybe kded4 is not really needed at all on such platforms. In particular, the absence of kded4 should not prevent a user from reporting a crash in a KDE application on Apple OS X or any other desktop manager, should it? I don't think *anything* should prevent that=85 :-) I do not think it is reasonable to ask the MacPorts developers to include kded4 in startup procedures for every user, on the off chance that he or she will use a KDE app sometime and that app will crash. So I will proceed to patch around the requirement for kded4 in Dr Konqi in Apple OS X, unless someone has a better idea or can point out some more frequent and vital need for kded4 in a non-KDE desktop manager. > Unfortunately, it isn't refcounting its users so it is running like forev= er. Cheers, Ian W. >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscrib= e <<