List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: KDE applications 4.14 LTS or 4.15?
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-04-29 17:32:04

El Dimarts, 29 d'abril de 2014, a les 18:13:20, Mario Fux va escriure:
> Am Samstag, 26. April 2014, 16.48:22 schrieb Kevin Krammer:
>
> Morning Kevin
>
> > On Friday, 2014-04-25, 21:09:34, Mario Fux wrote:
> > > Morning gals and guys
> > >
> > > First: there are several mailing lists in the "TO:" above but please
> > > just
> > > write to the kde-devel mailing list for this discussion.
> > >
> > > As the release schedule for our KDE applications in the version 4.14 [1]
> > > were finalized at the beginning of this week it's time to discuss if
> > > 4.14
> > > should become a LTS release (e.g. until August 2015 like KDE Workspaces
> > > 4.11) or if we need (at least) another features release and thus 4.15?
> >
> > I am not sure I understood this correctly.
> > The proposal is to end 4.x SC releases at 4.14 and either not do any SC
> > until all applications have been ported or discontinue the SC releases
> > alltogether?
>
> I think mostly the later as it's not clear if there will be another SC. See
> for this the emails on kde-community.

There won't be an SC in KF5-land since SC was Applications+Platform+Workspace,
and both Applications and Platform^wFrameworks have decided to go their own
way with schedules.

That doesn't mean there won't be "KDE Applications" coordinated releases, no?
And I don't see any of your emails to kde-community adress that.

> But this email is mostly about if we should stop KDE applications releases
> with 4.14 (stop feature development I mean) and make a LTS release out if it
> (likewise to the KDE Workspaces/Plasma did with 4.11.x till August 2015) or
> if we want more feature development in the KDE Applications with Qt4 and
> KDE Platform 4 and thus target a 4.15 release.

I honestly don't think you can decouple the discussion of KF5 versions of apps
and its release schedule from the question of what is going to happen with 4.x
releases.

If you tell me that the first "KDE Applications based in KF5" is going to be
in two years because people don't have time to port, i obviously want 4.15,
4.16 and more, if you tell me it's going to be in a year, i have different
opinion.

Anyway I still think we should mix&match as I proposed in the other email.

Cheers,
  Albert