List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Running KDE apps on Apple OS X
From:       Ben Cooksley <bcooksley () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-04-13 10:28:21

On Sun, Apr 13, 2014 at 2:31 AM,  <mk-lists@email.de> wrote:
> Hi Ben,

Hi Marko,

> On 15 Mar 2014, at 12:07 , Ben Cooksley <bcooksley@kde.org> wrote:
> > We'll await the results of the Macports collaboration thread before
> > continuing further.
>
> in the meantime we have proceeded somewhat regarding our efforts to collect some \
> information about current problems of KDE software on MacPorts. For that purpose we \
> have eventually created a dedicated wiki page during the last few days [1]. It also \
> contains a section entitled "Continuous Integration of KDE software".
> I guess it is not possible to simply install Jenkins and start building on OSX. :-)
> Well, a while ago I installed Jenkins on my old iMac and found that it actually \
> worked out of the box for makeicns [2], but I have never tried to do anything else \
> with it, since about at the same time the MacPorts buildbots appeared on the scene \
> [3].

Not exactly, however the infrastructure we have for our Linux builds
should be nearly completely portable to OSX without too much trouble
(in theory at least - i've never done any compilation on OSX).

> Which prerequisites do you need for your CI system on Linux? Where can I read about \
> that? I guess without more information it doesn't make sense to approach the \
> MacPorts developer team regarding their buildbots' setup...

The actual requirements aren't written anywhere, but you might find
the documentation i've written for the CI system to be of some use.
See http://quickgit.kde.org/?p=websites%2Fbuild-kde-org.git&a=tree&h=48c561bdfa467b0a0 \
9d6591491abc168b63197ce&hb=f2d024f155bed23a9e81b0175e5c7d752d6d8f14&f=documentation

A basic run down of what the CI system needs however:

1) Python 2.x, with json and lxml support (for the scripts which conduct builds)
2) Java (for the Jenkins node agent itself)
3) RSync and SSH (for the transferral of completed builds between nodes)
4) Git, Subversion, Bazaar, wget and GNU Tar (to access source code)
5) GNU Patch (for applying custom patches, used in certain builds)
6) A compiler, usable by CMake, QMake and autotools based build systems
8) GNU Make, Automake, Autoconf (for carrying out the build, and
configuring it in certain rare cases)

We'll need to make adjustments to ensure the system doesn't attempt to
launch Xvfb or a X11 Window Manager, which it currently will do when
executing tests. These should be fairly easy to do however.

To build certain projects, the compiler will need to support C# and a
certain level of C++11 as well. The Mono bindings will not be
buildable if C# support is unavailable.

Under no circumstance should a CI node have Qt installed at the system
level in any form, as this is provided directly by the CI system
itself.

> Have a nice weekend!
>
> Greets,
> Marko