List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Disabling baloo-integration possible?
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2014-04-10 1:42:14

On 10/04/2014, at 8:40 AM, Thomas L=FCbking wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 10. April 2014 schrieb :
> =

> > So, I wonder what baloo would be doing on OSX to get its hands into the=
 user=92s emails=85
> >         I hope Vishesh can clarify this!
> >
> > Sure one doesn=92t want to see any collisions between OSX=92 Spotlight =
indexer on one side and baloo on the other.
> =

> i assume, ideally the api would just abstract spotlight on osx?
> would require someone developing an osx backend.

Oops, I see Bradley has just beaten me to the punch.  Never mind, here is s=
ome
additional info about Spotlight.

"Introduction to Spotlight" is here:
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/Met=
adataIntro/MetadataIntro.html

A rough (and quick) idea of the architecture is here in "How Does Spotlight=
 Work?":
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/Met=
adataIntro/Concepts/HowDoesItWork.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001847-CJBEJ=
BHH

The "Finder" referred to as a client in that article is Apple OS X's file m=
anager.  Its "Info"
function uses Spotlight to get the available metadata on any file and displ=
ay a panel.

A quick search on "Spotlight" in the Documentation section of the Xcode app=
 (Apple's
IDE application, similar in scope to KDevelop) showed plenty of references =
to library
classes one could use to deliver metadata, etc.  Also programming examples.=
  These
classes and examples are in Objective C and are non-free, I assume, but the=
y are at
least public.  I do not know if Qt4-Mac has an interface to them, but proba=
bly not.  However
Qt4-Mac does include lots of examples of how to bridge between C++ and Obje=
ctive C
libraries, because it uses native OS X classes for QMainWindow, widgets, et=
c.

ATM interfacing to Spotlight would have to be low on the list of KDE priori=
ties.  Marko
and I are currently engaged in setting up a list of known problems that aff=
ect KDE
on the OS X platform, either generally or for specific apps.  Then we propo=
se to get
MacPorts and KDE experts together to find the root causes and fix them, eit=
her in
the KDE codebase or the MacPorts base, wherever the trail leads.  Some of t=
he
problems are showstoppers.

I do not use Spotlight much, but it is sometimes handy for digging up old e=
mails.

The thing I really like about Spotlight is its unobtrusive and user-friendl=
y interface.  It
is just a simple, small magnifying glass icon at the top right of the scree=
n (equivalent
to bottom right in Plasma, I seem to remember).  If you click on it, a text=
-entry widget
appears and you enter your term.  Then a drop-down panel shows the results.=
  If
you hover over a result, you see a quick display of the message or whatever=
.  If you
click it, the result opens in the application where it belongs (e.g. Apple =
Mail).

Very quick.

Cheers, Ian W.

> =