On 10/04/2014, at 8:40 AM, Thomas L=FCbking wrote: > Am Donnerstag, 10. April 2014 schrieb : > = > > So, I wonder what baloo would be doing on OSX to get its hands into the= user=92s emails=85 > > I hope Vishesh can clarify this! > > > > Sure one doesn=92t want to see any collisions between OSX=92 Spotlight = indexer on one side and baloo on the other. > = > i assume, ideally the api would just abstract spotlight on osx? > would require someone developing an osx backend. Oops, I see Bradley has just beaten me to the punch. Never mind, here is s= ome additional info about Spotlight. "Introduction to Spotlight" is here: https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/Met= adataIntro/MetadataIntro.html A rough (and quick) idea of the architecture is here in "How Does Spotlight= Work?": https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Carbon/Conceptual/Met= adataIntro/Concepts/HowDoesItWork.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40001847-CJBEJ= BHH The "Finder" referred to as a client in that article is Apple OS X's file m= anager. Its "Info" function uses Spotlight to get the available metadata on any file and displ= ay a panel. A quick search on "Spotlight" in the Documentation section of the Xcode app= (Apple's IDE application, similar in scope to KDevelop) showed plenty of references = to library classes one could use to deliver metadata, etc. Also programming examples.= These classes and examples are in Objective C and are non-free, I assume, but the= y are at least public. I do not know if Qt4-Mac has an interface to them, but proba= bly not. However Qt4-Mac does include lots of examples of how to bridge between C++ and Obje= ctive C libraries, because it uses native OS X classes for QMainWindow, widgets, et= c. ATM interfacing to Spotlight would have to be low on the list of KDE priori= ties. Marko and I are currently engaged in setting up a list of known problems that aff= ect KDE on the OS X platform, either generally or for specific apps. Then we propo= se to get MacPorts and KDE experts together to find the root causes and fix them, eit= her in the KDE codebase or the MacPorts base, wherever the trail leads. Some of t= he problems are showstoppers. I do not use Spotlight much, but it is sometimes handy for digging up old e= mails. The thing I really like about Spotlight is its unobtrusive and user-friendl= y interface. It is just a simple, small magnifying glass icon at the top right of the scree= n (equivalent to bottom right in Plasma, I seem to remember). If you click on it, a text= -entry widget appears and you enter your term. Then a drop-down panel shows the results.= If you hover over a result, you see a quick display of the message or whatever= . If you click it, the result opens in the application where it belongs (e.g. Apple = Mail). Very quick. Cheers, Ian W. > = > cheers, > thomas = >>> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscri= be << >> Visit http://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-devel#unsub to unsubscrib= e <<