List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Disabling baloo-integration possible?
From:       Frank Reininghaus <frank78ac () googlemail ! com>
Date:       2014-04-09 20:24:06

Hi,

> Hi Vishesh,
>
> On 08 Apr 2014, at 10:36 , Vishesh Handa wrote:
>>> will it be possible to run KDE without baloo enabled?
>> Yes. You can go to System Settings -> Desktop Search -> Exclude Folders, and
>> add your $HOME directory over there.
>>
>> Otherwise you can also edit the baloofilerc file and add the following -
>>
>> [Basic Settings]
>> Indexing-Enabled=false
>
> actually I was more thinking along the lines of:
>
>         1) not install baloo at all
>
>         2) configure KDE and all relevant apps in such a way that they don't expect any services from baloo
>
> Is that doable?

yes, but you might not be able to build and/or use all KDE
applications correctly. kdelibs itself does not depend on Baloo at
all.

While building another module that makes use of Baloo, CMake will try
to find the Baloo header files. If they are not found, one of the
following things will happen:

(a) The module is built and can be used correctly (but obviously,
without any of the features provided by Baloo). This is the case,
e.g., for kde-baseapps/Dolphin.

(b) The module fails to build

(c) The module can be built, but fails to work at runtime.

I'm not quite sure, but everything related to KDE PIM might be in the
(b) or (c) category.

Best regards,
Frank