List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: What to test for 4.13?
From:       Kevin Krammer <krammer () kde ! org>
Date:       2014-03-08 12:02:43

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Ian,

On Saturday, 2014-03-08, 21:47:07, Ian Wadham wrote:

> On 08/03/2014, at 6:43 PM, Frank Reininghaus wrote:
> >> While we are on the topic of testing, how much testing is done of
> >> KDE's cross-platform and cross-desktop implementations?
> >
> > Unless the people who prepare the Mac packages test them, the only
> > testing is done by you and by other users,
>
> So what I am hearing, in answer to my question, is "No testing by the KDE
> development team".

I think this would only be the case if the two groups of people, KDE
Developers and KDE-on-Mac packagers/users, were non-overlapping sets.

That might of course be true, but also a bit uncommon. Packaging efforts for
all other platforms is at least to some extend handled by people who are
either users of the packaged software or KDE developers using the respective
platform.

> > most of whom unfortunately
> > seem to be either unable or unwilling to file useful bug reports and
> > help to debug the problems.
>
> Most of the problems that occur are in building and configuring
> packages across various Apple machines and versions of OS X, from
> several years ago to the present day.  The Macports team provide about
> 12,000 packages and do a wonderful job of answering the users' queries
> on MacPorts Users <macports-users@lists.macosforge.org>.  The users
> usually file their bug reports (about builds, etc) in the Macports bugs
> database.

Which sounds very similar to how it works on Linux. Do they also have similar
policies of "upstreaming" bug reports of things not caused by "local" changes?

> >> Just in the last week I have seen cases of a guy on Apple OS X who could
> >> not build kde4-baseapps
> >
> > Which version of kde-baseapps? Has this guy filed a bug report?
>
> He filed one at https://trac.macports.org/ticket/42673.  He did not nominate
> a version of KDE, but it would have to be in the range KDE 4.10 to 4.12. At
> this stage, it looks as if the problem could be compiler-related.

In this case it seems that the report has been addresses correctly, i.e. an
error in packaging reported to the packager.

> If KDE developers cannot or will not test a release on some version of
> Apple hardware and OS X, what right do they have to offer it as a
> cross-platform and cross-desktop system?

Do you mean all KDE developers or some? As I wrote above, I would be surprised
if none of the packager nor users of KDE applications on Mac are KDE
developers.

But "all" doesn't seem realistic either.

> >> And it would be nice to have some regular testing ... :-)
> >
> > I understand that quite a bit of regular testing is being done by you
> > and your friends.
>
> No, not testing, they are mostly just attempting to build and *use* stuff.
> If they fail, I think they just go and try some other package … :-)

Well, that is some for of testing.
Valuable testing if the failure is reported, sophisticated testing if the test
is repeated regularily.

Very similar to other platforms, no?

Cheers,
Kevin