List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Parsing user queries in Baloo
From:       Denis Steckelmacher <steckdenis () yahoo ! fr>
Date:       2014-03-01 9:44:35

Hi,

After having read most of the source code of Baloo and its main clients
(the search runner and Dolphin), I'm beginning to see how the whole
thing fits.

I'm looking for a way to integrate the user query parser that I
developed during the summer, and I currently see two places where it can
be integrated:

* In Baloo::Query::setSearchString : if a flag is activated somewhere
and if the backend supports Baloo::Term objects, then the search string
can be parsed. The parsing will then set the query type (files, e-mails,
musics, etc) and its top-level Term.
* In a new publicly-available parser that returns a Term and a type.
This will not change the behavior of Query::setSearchString, but every
client application that wants to use the parser will need to be modified
to manually call Query::setTerm on the queries it constructs.

Which option do you prefer? How would you integrate the user query
parser in Baloo?

Denis Steckelmacher