List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Nepomuk in 4.13 and beyond
From:       Ignacio Serantes <kde () aynoa ! net>
Date:       2013-12-24 11:11:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM, Kevin Krammer <krammer@kde.org> wrote:

> On Tuesday, 2013-12-17, 20:09:21, Ignacio Serantes wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > On Tue, Dec 17, 2013 at 6:33 PM, Kevin Krammer <krammer@kde.org> wrote:
> > > Hi Ignacio,
> > >
> > > On Tuesday, 2013-12-17, 17:55:53, Ignacio Serantes wrote:
>
> > > Maybe you could elaborate how a system service would facilitate this
> kind
> > > of
> > > sharing while a session service does not.
> >
> > Well, because I can't do a query if service is not running unless I'm
> > replicating all my data over all my computers. If I have a big database
> > this would be impossible because you must wait for a long time until your
> > data was synchronized. If you are running this as a service you could
> > connect to that server and you don't need to synchronize this data. A big
> > database in a mobile or tablet could be problematic because is common you
> > have gigas in your PCs but megas in your mobile devices.
>
> It seems that you are describing a remote server now, which would be the
> same
> case independent on whether the local service would run in the user
> session or
> as a system service, no?

A remote server is the origin of my petitions, I like to install Baloo in a
server, real or virtual because with Nepomuk it's impossible.

> > > can't

> > > developed

> > > I think you might have some misconceptions about Akonadi but you are
> > > welcome
> > > to proof me wrong :)
> > >
> > > Probably, when Akonady has a check to disable it maybe I change my mind
> > > ;).
>
> Which neatly proofs my point about misconceptions :)
> Akonadi is started on a need basis by its clients. In order to "disable" it
> you simply don't use any of its clients (which would be useless anyway
> without
> data).
>
> I feel a deja vu. Ok, I'm not interested at all in Akonadi and I don't
want waste my time arguing about how good or bad it is anymore. This is
about Baloo :).

> > > A uniform and data type agnostic access layer sounds pretty state of
> the
> > > art
> > > to me.
> >
> > Yes, but a single user one running in your user session and not as a
> > service when you don't want it not.
>
> Not quite understanding your "but". It is exactly running in a user
> session,
> as a service, and not running when you don't want to.
>
> > With so many years of development I'm
> > assuming Akonadi works well for a single user in a single user computer
> > with only one session opened :). But this is not about Akonadi, is about
> > Baloo :).
>
> True, but you brought it up for whatever reason and so I am trying to
> understand that reason. Somehow it must have had some context for you, no?

> of
> > >
> > > my

> my
> > >
> > > I don't see why this would be impossible.
> > > That's like saying "I'd like my email to be marked unread on all my
> > > computer
> > > automatically but if Akonadi wokrs at the user level this will be
> > > impossible".
> > > Which would be demonstratably wrong :)
> >
> > Yes, you are right, but this is achieved with a synchronization method.
> As
> > I commented in my first reply I see problems synchronizing this
> information
> > because different hardware in your devices.
>
> Seems to work quite well for PIM data (emails, contacts, calendars).

You can park a plane but this is not a proof than planes are build to be
driven for a highway. I spend my first years synchronizing data before
internet and I have bad memories about this years and all the problems
related with synchronization.

> > Let's try an example. I have over 50.000 emails in my Akonadi database
> with
> > the synchronization approach if I want to search for a mail tagged as "My
> > tag" and dated two years ago I will need all 50.000 emails metadata in
> all
> > my devices or search will fail.
>
> Depends on how your search is implemented and how your data is stored.
> If all that email is local then accessing the data should be a problem.
> Might
> be more efficient when indexed but not necessarily mandatory,
> If all that email is on an IMAP server, search could be delegated to it
> when
> the server is reachable and fall back to whatever is currently cached when
> not.
>
> > In my case I have a tablet, two mobiles (Android and iPhone), and four
> > computers (one in my job) so I need all this data synchronized in 7
> devices
> > or this metadata is useless because is not reliable. The worst part is
> when
> > I'm in a customer office working and the only method to connect to the
> > world is a client computer because 3G is not working so, in brief, my
> > salvation is a server where all my mail is stored with my metadata and
> > accessible from any kind device with a browser.
>
> And that is orthogonal to a local service for providing access to the
> user's
> applications how?
>
> As far as I can see it would only be benefitial if only one program would
> cause network traffic for every single data interaction, especially in the
> 3G
> case.

Sorry. English is not my language and I don't understand you. I'm talking
about a server implementation advantages. If I tagged 10000 mails in my PC
this is done in the server so my mobile device did not waste any byte
downloading that information.

> Cheers,
> Kevin
> --
> Kevin Krammer, KDE developer, xdg-utils developer
> KDE user support, developer mentoring

And I think is time to stop our noise in the mailing list. If you like I
have no problems in arguing about server approach or synchronization
approach using private mail.

--
Best wishes,
Ignacio