List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: c++ student needs help.
From:       Shubham Chaudhary <shubhamchaudhary92 () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-10-05 13:49:06

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

Hi Lerto,

These're some of the books that are highly recommended for C++ beginners:

1. C++ Primer† (Stanley Lippman, Josée Lajoie, and Barbara E. Moo) (updated
for C++11) Coming at 1k pages, this is a very thorough introduction into
C++ that covers just about everything in the language in a very accessible
format and in great detail.

2. Accelerated C++ (Andrew Koenig and Barbara Moo) This basically covers
the same ground as the C++ Primer, but does so on a fourth of its space.
This is largely because it does not attempt to be an introduction to
programming, but an introduction to C++ for people who've previously
programmed in some other language. It has a steeper learning curve, but,
for those who can cope with this, it is a very compact introduction into
the language. (Historically, it broke new ground by being the first
beginner's book using a modern approach at teaching the language.)

3. Thinking in C++ (Bruce Eckel) Two volumes; second is more about standard
library, but still very good

4. Programming Principles and Practice Using C++ (Bjarne Stroustrup): An
introduction to programming using C++ by the creator of the language. A
good read, that assumes no previous programming experience, but is not only
for beginners.

Read someone else s code because it'll help you know what things you're not
implementing when you try to do the same thing. Remember that there is no
work-around to reading books, if you really want to learn and understand a
language. Most of these books are available online for free and it'll be a
wise decision to buy a nice and comfortable ebook-reader.

Ask question and ask them in right forum. You may also search through our
LUG <https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/pulug> and find some answers
to the queries of other beginners.

I hope that helps. Best of
luck<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c-book-guide-and-list>:)