List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: c++ student needs help.
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-10-04 7:13:00

On 03/10/2013, at 7:44 PM, Lerato Phele wrote:
> I am a first-year student at university, I recently register for a c++
> course this semester, i am really struggling with the course, it gives
> me a tough time, although I'm reading the prescribed courseware, dont
> knw if you can help me  with some tips to get the better understanding
> of c++ as a beginner or point me in the right direction, Apologies in
> advance i know this is not strictly kde question, but I would really
> appreciate your advice/thoughts as your experienced.

1. Read C++ code written by others, beginning especially with worked
examples in books and course materials, graduating later to specific
*small* apps in Qt or KDE.  The Qt library comes with hundreds of
small example apps.

2. Be aware of libraries, especially those recommended in your course.
Libraries for object-oriented languages contain ready-made classes to
do various common programming tasks.  Often the secret of success is
to find and use ready-made re-usable components (i.e. library classes).

KDE depends on huge libraries called Qt and kdelibs, as well as special
libraries for groups of apps (such as Games and Educational).  So you
may find all that a bit hard to digest.  I certainly did, and I had been a
programmer for about 40 years when I started teaching myself C++,
Qt and KDE =85 :-)

All the best, Ian W.