List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: (not only dolphin): Directory doesn't behave as Queue (FIFO)
From:       Ralf Gesellensetter <rgx () gmx ! de>
Date:       2013-09-16 18:42:59

Thanks to all for your personal assessment.

Thomas' script looks superb.

Am 16.09.2013 17:21, schrieb Andreas Pakulat:
> If sorting by filename is sufficient Linux actually has a tool for that
> called fatsort (http://fatsort.sourceforge.net/). It orders the entries in
> the FAT table based on the filenames and allows to move directories before
> or after the files as well.

But this is exactly the missing tool for my ignorant player.
The firmware takes it for granted, that copying folders would
guarantee stable ordering of their content.

As a matter of fact, ext4 doesn't keep files in a physical order
(first created first listed), hence fatsort is my tool.
I wanted to raise a discussion about what assertions we (KDE)
can/should give to users as for ordering files.

Great, made my day. To save interested peoples searching for it,
I dare paste the output of "apt-cache show fatsort" (don't mix up
with quicksort or BFS).

"Depends: libc6 (>= 2.3)
Description-en: utility for sorting FAT directory structures
 FATSort is a utility that sorts FAT16 and FAT32 partitions. It even
 can handle long file name entries. It reads the boot sector and sorts
 the directory structure recursively.
 This is for example useful for sorting the files on your MP3 player
when it doesn't implement a sorting function itself.

Homepage: http://fatsort.berlios.de/
Tag: admin::filesystem, hardware::storage, implemented-in::c,
 interface::commandline, role::program, scope::utility, use::organizing,
 works-with::text

Kind regards & happy listening
Ralf