List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: [kde-promo] 4.11 Beta 1 release announcement
From:       Carl Symons <carlsymons () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-06-11 20:34:05

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 10:52 AM, Albert Astals Cid <aacid@kde.org> wrote:
> Hi, I just realized that we are releasing 4.11 Beta 1 in a few days (2 or 3)
> and we have nothing written like
>
> http://www.kde.org/announcements/announce-4.10-beta1.php
>
> Please people that know of new news-worthy features add them to
> https://notes.kde.org/p/411beta1
>
> If someone with writing skills can [re]write the features in a nice way it'd
> be cool.

I'm happy to write/edit when there is something to write at the
notes.kde.org link.

> And we probably need a screenshot.

Screenshot guidelines below.

> Also someone should start leading the proper 4.11 announcement work.

Virtually all of the content comes from technical people and groups.
When he bowed out, Sebas said that what was needed for major releases
was for someone to coordinate, making sure that all the little pieces
come together as a whole.

I can coordinate the writing and editing of Dot stories and release
announcements. However someone needs to manage the entire process
which mostly happens in technical teams until the actual release
announcements.

For example, right now we need screenshots and the big news of the
release. That preparation has almost nothing to do with promotion. But
if there were a KDE-promo person who wanted to take on leading this
coordination, this would be an important and visible role.

Any takers?

Carl

> Cheers,
>   Albert - Who never signed up to do any kind of promo work

Need screenshots from someone who has installed the 4.11 release.
Guidelines for release screenshots (mostly from Nuno Pinheiro):
- Use default wallpaper
- Use only two or three colors for anything that's not a photo
- Resolution 1280x720
- Use the same font everywhere. Oxygen or Liberation Sans is
preferred; other sans fonts are workable.
- Use the default wallpaper
- Hinting style set to full. Even if you like big fonts, the result is
much sharper if your hinting is set to full.
- Use a smaller font size like 8 or 9. Small fonts have a thinner
trace that makes the font thickness be exactly 1 pixel. If your font
thickness is not 1, then you are in trouble.  Low hinting style and
large fonts make traces of about 1.3 - 1.5 thickness that result in
blurry looking fonts. They are not only bad looking, they tend to
produce headaches as your eyes try to constantly focus the font.
- Don't use bold. Bold fonts are not as readable as normal fonts
because the width of the trace is usually larger than 1 and smaller
than 2 producing blurry results.
- Make your fonts more greyish than blackish; gives much better
sharpness results.