List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Google Summer of Code - Android App
From:       Stephan Goosen <stephang () mweb ! co ! za>
Date:       2013-04-01 6:26:31

Hi Guys,

I want to take part in the GSoC, and was advised (on the KDE Forums) to post
my question on this mailing list.

The thing is, I would very much like to take part in GSoC this year.  But, as
a student finishing his first year, I've only had very limited exposure to C++
as all my courses are Java based.

This is primarily why I'm so late in responding to GSoC, as I thought I would
simply leave it for next year when I've got a stronger programming background.

But then, I realized there is a project that I could potentially attempt with
Java:

What I would like to do, is write an Android app that acts as a remote for my
KDE Desktop.  We've currently set up a Kubuntu machine to connect it to our TV
where it serves as a home server, media center and to display presentations
during business meetings.

What I'm envisioning, is a simple android app, that would let me switch
between activities from my Android device, and then launch an app or document
that has been associated with that activity.  And perhaps add the ability to
change the volume or cycle through open windows.

The GSoC recommendations are that I contact a mentor to discuss my
idea/proposal with them.  But, as I'm proposing an Android app, I'm not really
sure who I should contact... Can someone please point me in the right
direction?

Regards,

Stephan Goosen