List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Nepomuk/Akonadi progress
From:       Lindsay Mathieson <lindsay.mathieson () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-03-24 1:03:41

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Tentatively ... looking pretty damn good at the moment. I actually have a
desktop that is living up to all that hope and promise from years ago :)

- Desktop search. Working, quick reliable searches on filename, tags, ratings,
type and content, via krunner or dolphin. Email searching is integrated in
krunner as well.

- Email searching. Working pretty well - full text searching is fast and
reliable.

- IMAP. Disconnected and Online IMAP has been very stable and reliable for
some time for me (Google Account and 3rd party IMAP account). I have approx
83,000 msgs.

- Calendar Sync. Two way syncing with Google Calendar is working perfectly.

- Address book Sync. Two way syncing with Google Contacts is working
perfectly.

- Address auto completion. Fully working.

- CPU/RAM Usage. Problems of massive CPU/Mem usage seem to be a thing of the
past. There's a rare issue with the fileindexer running out of control but the
dev is actively trying to track that one down.

- Overall responsiveness of the KDE desktop seems much snappier, apparently
some of this is due to improvements in nepomuk.

Caveats:
Email indexing searching could be improved, though it is *much* better than it
was. If using imap you really need to enable disconnected mode for content
searching to work.

- email search with multiple terms via AND/OR don't seem to work.

- Saved email searches no longer auto update due to CPU concerns which
severely limits their utility, apparently this will be restored in the future.

- My base system in Kubuntu 13.04/KDE 4.10.1, but I'm running akonadi and
nepomuk built from master. 4.10.1 is good but still had a number of quirks. I
dunno how much of current master will make its way into 4.10.2 but 4.11 is
going to be killer!

So huge thanks to the devs, its got to a stage where I really miss nepomuk and
akonadi features on other systems - never thought I'd get to that stage :)

Really impressive work, immense progress these last few releases.

--
Lindsay Mathieson