List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Starting Kernel Module Programming
From:       Nikhil Marathe <nsm.nikhil () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-03-13 3:49:39

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM, karan garg <karangarg31@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am an avid linux user and have been using Linux for over two years. I did
> my RHCE two years ago, and have a fair knowledge about BASH scripting as
> well. I want to begin with kernel module programming under the KDE
> community, and go into development. So please help me with how to start and
> proceed. I have a basic knowledge of C language as well.
Hello Karan,

Its good to see your interest in contributing to open source.
But KDE is a desktop environment, so very few if any projects interact
with the Linux kernel directly or involve writing modules for it.

One of the areas you might be able to help is the OS backing the Plasma
Active project - called Mer OS (http://merproject.org/) I guess porting to new
devices would be something that may require hacking on the kernel.

I'd suggest you also look at the Linux Kernel project itself and ask around
on their mailing list.

Remember to Google things first. Most questions are already answered, and there
are a lot of resources on kernel programming.

Best,
Nikhil