List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Online Accounts
From:       Alberto Mardegan <mardy () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2012-10-08 6:57:57

Hi all!
  Some of you might know that the next version of Ubuntu will come with
a new feature called "Online Accounts". For those who don't, here's a
couple of articles that give an idea of what this is all about:

http://www.iloveubuntu.net/online-accounts-landed-ubuntu-1210-default
http://www.iloveubuntu.net/session-menu-adds-demand-online-accounts-entry-ubuntu-1210

Apart from the benefits to the user, the Online Accounts feature helps
in greatly simplifying applications' code, because all the account
management stuff can be taken out and put into a centralized location
(this is not really the only way to use the framework, but that's what
Ubuntu chose for their desktop and IMHO it makes sense); and those
applications which need to authenticate against remote services (by
OAuth or any other authentication method) can also greatly simplify
their code by letting the Online Accounts SSO daemon (signond) handle
the authentication for them.

SOME MORE IN-DEPTH DOCUMENTATION
================================

Last week we wrote a document which explains the architecture of Ubuntu
Online Accounts and highlights the steps to integrate one's application
with it; while some parts are specific tu Ubuntu's implementation (which
uses the GNOME Control Center as the entry point), most of it can be
applied to other desktop environemnts as well:

https://docs.google.com/a/canonical.com/document/d/1MVsDdwzff6LqQ6i3z-cSgg8dHjb5DaHMXFeWtIa6Cvo/edit#

(the document is still a WIP, and everyone has comment permission on it)

What that document doesn't say, is that we have client libraries for Qt
as well (though they are not QML-ready), and that the daemons providing
the SSO service and UI interactions, as well as all the authentication
plugins, are written in Qt.

GOAL OF THIS E-MAIL
===================

Of course, I won't deny that it would be fantastic if KDE showed
interest towards this project and decided to use some parts of it. :-)
But for now I just wanted to make sure that the KDE developers are aware
of this project, and know that we would be extremely happy to get in
touch and help with any questions you might have about it.

The Ubuntu Online Accounts project is based on the Accounts&SSO project
which was initially developed for the Nokia N9 and MeeGo, and is being
adopted also in Tizen and Mer. The upstream code is here:

  http://code.google.com/p/accounts-sso/

while the Ubuntu-specific components are here:

  https://launchpad.net/online-accounts
  (though I guess that the SignOn-UI is the only one possibly
  interesting to KDE)

We are hanging out in the #accounts-sso channel in freenode.
Just drop by and ask any questions you might have about the project,
we'll be be happy to see more people even vaguely interested in it. :-)

(I'm myself subscribed to kde-devel, so feel free to ask questions here
as well)

Ciao,
  Alberto

--