List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: 10 Rasberry PIs available for projects
From:       Bart Cerneels <bart.cerneels () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-10-02 9:22:14

On Wed, Sep 26, 2012 at 9:58 PM, Lydia Pintscher <lydia@kde.org> wrote:
> Heya folks :)
>
> A while ago Nokia has offered to sponsor 10 Rasberry PIs for KDE.
> (Thanks Nokia!) They have now arrived in the KDE e.V. office. We need
> to figure out what to do with them now. So if you have a cool idea
> that you're willing to do with one of them and that would benefit KDE
> please post it here within the next 2 weeks. (If there are more than
> 10 proposals I can be bribed with cookies :P)
> Oh and I forgot: 1 of them should go to Dario for a tutorial at the Qt
> Developers Conference in the US.
>
> So please. What's your cool idea for a Rasberry PI?
>

> Cheers
> Lydia
>
> --

I've got a TI pico projector dev-kit bought a few years ago for a
special project idea. It would be coupled with a CMOS sensor and some
fancy optics (the hard part) to create in essence a completely new
computing platform. It would be tied in with local-link and online
media and home control systems. It will be a dream playground for 3D
gesture concepts.

Originally I planned to create completely custom Qt5 scene-graph based
software for this, but I think building on top of the latest plasma
active is more time-efficient.
If there are more worthy proposals or requestors that have more free
time then me, please give it to them. I'm fully capable to buy my own.
This would most likely end up in the hands of a student I would
mentor.

Bart