List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: up to date kdesrc-buildrc
From:       Ian Wadham <iandw.au () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-10-01 2:09:33

On 01/10/2012, at 9:40 AM, Michael Pyne wrote:
> On Sunday, September 30, 2012 11:23:29 Carsten Mattner wrote:
> You may also want to make sure that your kdesrc-build is up-to-date (it's =

> frequently updated in git, only infrequently are separate releases made).=
 The =

> kdesrc-build git repository also has a kdesrc-buildrc-sample file which i=
s =

> also kept updated.

I have been having similar problems to Carsten's, but managed to battle
my way through the dependencies in the end =85 I think (???) =85

DrKonqui depends on kdepimlibs now (!!! ???) =85  Always in the past
I just needed kdelibs, kde-runtime and the prerequisites to build and
test an application.  No way I wanted to drag in all that Akonadi chain.
Anyway I just went into the kde-runtime CMakeLists.txt and commented
out DrKonqui.

Surely such a vital tool should have as few dependencies as possible =85
What if kdepimlibs itself were to crash?  Just my 2c.

Not having used Linux and KDE for some months, I first visited
http://kdesrc-build.kde.org/ and downloaded v. 1.15.1, as advised.

I must have missed where it said to go and get the latest from git =85 ;-)

Next problem was to work out how to untar the tar ball.  It is now .xz.

Please can you update the website?

>> I was especially confused about what parts are to be used from which
>> branch and that only some projects have 4.x branches while some
>> need to be used from master.

Me too.  I got a lot of confusing messages from the KDE Project module
metadata step, such as:

    kdelibs depends upon kdesupport/strigi/strigi[master, but no module
    builds kdesupport/strigi/strigi[master for this run.

There were 16 of these.  I had specifically asked, or think I had asked, for
the KDE/4.9 branch in my ~/.kdesrc-buildrc file, so I decided to plough on.
All those kdesupport dependencies built OK anyway.

What I really wanted was kdelibs 4.9.x and kde-runtime 4.9.x, as currently
released.  It was not clear whether I just had to ask for 4.9 once, near the
start of ~/.kdesrc-buildrc, or had to keep on asking for it, but I got 4.9.=
1 as
the library in my app when I finally built it.

Michael, I really appreciate the job you do, in very difficult circumstance=
s, so
I am in no way critical of kdesrc-build --- it is a boon to the weary trave=
ller!
I just wish all the bits of KDE were not bound together as tight as carbon
atoms in a diamond.  It makes an applications developer's life very difficu=
lt.

All the best,Ian W.