List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: up to date kdesrc-buildrc
From:       Michael Pyne <mpyne () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-09-30 23:40:08

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Sunday, September 30, 2012 11:23:29 Carsten Mattner wrote:
> I have been trying to build kde 4.9 from source with kdesrc-build and have
> used the attached kdesrc-buildrc without success and was never able
> to get strigi built to even see if kdelibs would build.

Carsten,

If you just need KDE 4.9 then you might be able to rely just on strigi-devel
packages provided by your distribution. "strigi" is actually five packages:

libstreams
libstreamanalyzer
strigiutils
strigidaemon
strigiclient

Most distributions would also have -devel packages for libstreams and
libstreamanalyzer.

However you haven't described what issue you've been seeing either. Error log
output from CMake would help, and/or the error output from kdesrc-build.
kdesrc-build will tell you after it is done where your log files are for each
affected module.

> Can you check the config file or do you have a better way or correct
> kdesrc-buildrc available somewhere?

You may also want to make sure that your kdesrc-build is up-to-date (it's
frequently updated in git, only infrequently are separate releases made). The
kdesrc-build git repository also has a kdesrc-buildrc-sample file which is
also kept updated.

> I was especially confused about what parts are to be used from which
> branch and that only some projects have 4.x branches while some
> need to be used from master.

Not all of the projects in your sample configuration are part of KDE itself.
Some are libraries that are used by KDE but not considered part of the KDE-
released software compilation. Any of these modules that are not controlled by
KDE will obviously not follow our branch naming conventions. :)

So for Qt, for example, even though KDE hosts a copy of the source code, we
don't control what they name their versions, so the latest available Qt4
branch is 4.8.

strigi, phonon, automoc, cagibi, etc. from those first few modules sets (in
addition to taglib and libdbusmenu-qt) are considered "kdesupport" (as
mentioned before) and don't follow the standard branch naming convention. It's
easiest just to use the 'master' branch of these when available, which is done
by default.

One thing you want to change is to move libdbusmenu-qt to be right after the
'qt' module. kdesrc-build will try to reorder some kde-projects modules to
build in the right order, but will not reorder modules that you have in a
certain order in your kdesrc-buildrc.

Likewise, you probably want taglib to be right before phonon, although this
shouldn't cause anything in your config not to build.

Regards,
 - Michael Pyne