List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Call for testing: kio-mtp
From:       Philipp Schmidt <philschmidt () gmx ! net>
Date:       2012-09-17 16:03:11

Am Montag, 17. September 2012, 12:43:45 schrieb Daniel Nicoletti:
> Ah another thing you said you open/close the device when talking to
> it, that seems
> fine but I noticed that it seems mtp has a limitation that you need to list
all
> files on a device before using, at least pluging a device full of
> stuff takes a while
> till you can see the files, and it seems to also be the Windows case.
> Am I right or
> it's just how mtpfs was implemented?

Now that you mention it: That way my problem as well. Libmtp usually gets you
all the file-structs for a specific parent (when listing files). Now, one
would assume that 0 would be the parent of the files in the root directory,
but, as it turns out, one would be wrong. max(uint32_t) is actually the parent
you are looking for. Look in the code and you will find just that: uint32_t
parent = 0xFFFFFFFF ;). When using that access is fast, from what I have
experienced during testing it's actually faster than the Windows-
Implementation.
I even have some ideas for caching certain data to make accessing already
known files and folders even faster, but right now I will concentrate on
stabilization.

Cheers