List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Introducing KTutorial, a library for interactive tutorials in KDE applications
From:       Daniel_Calviño_Sánchez <danxuliu () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-09-01 16:54:08

Well, if I have understood everything right, I have mainly two options:
-Keep the GPLv3+ license: KDE applications *seem* to be able to link
against KTutorial, but only those that do not use any GPLv2 only
library. Moreover, KTutorial can't be uploaded to KDE repositories.
-Change the license to GPLv2+/Change the license to GPL version 2 or
version 3 or later versions approved by the membership of KDE e.V.:
KDE applications would be able to link against KTutorial, and
KTutorial could be uploaded to KDE repositories (although it couldn't
become part of KDE platforms, but I wasn't interested in that yet,
anyway). However, all the protections introduced in the GPLv3 would be
lost.

I suppose that there could be a third option, halfway between the
other two: adding an exception to the GPLv3+ license to allow linking
from KDE applications even if they are also using GPLv2 libraries. In
this case, KDE applications could link against KTutorial, although
KTutorial could not be uploaded to KDE repositories. However, I do not
speak legalese, and I think that it would be too much effort for
little gain. I don't really know if there are a lot of KDE
applications using GPLv2 only libraries, but I don't think so (I may
be wrong, of course :) ), and (hopefully) none of the problems that
GPLv3 gives protection against will appear in KTutorial.

So, well, I suppose that I'll change the license to GPLv2+. I'll have
to make a script or something, as there are 355 files to change
(including unit tests). I'll keep you informed ;)