List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Introducing KTutorial, a library for interactive tutorials in KDE applications
From:       Daniel_Calviño_Sánchez <danxuliu () gmail ! com>
Date:       2012-08-30 23:09:00

>> Also note that, even being a library, it is licensed under the GPLv3+
>> (not the LGPL), so it can be used only by free (as in freedom)
>> applications.
>
> This limits the use in KDE applications since GPLv3+ is not valid for KDE
> applications according to our licensing policy

I had seen the licensing policy, but I thought it was just a
requirement for code in KDE repositories. I mean, I thought that a KDE
application was able to link against a GPLv3+ library as long as it
did not link against a GPLv2 only library at the same time. And I also
thought that KDE did not use GPLv2 libraries, and that the KDE GPLv2
relicensing had been already done.

In fact, a few days ago I made a script to check the license of the
libraries an executable links against and found no GPLv3+
incompatibilites in showFoto, Kdenlive or Gwenview (although the
license information was got from the RPMs of my distribution which, of
course, may not be right). Moreover, I saw that even the libstdc++ was
licensed under GPLv3+, so I thought that the license would be fine
(but I have seen now that the libstdc++ has a runtime exception I
wasn't aware of: http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gcc-exception)

So, does that mean that there is still GPLv2 only code somewhere in
the KDE stack? :(

> (meaning you can't even use it
> in the applications you mention below)

Oh, I, as the KTutorial copyright holder, had granted myself a GPLv2+
license to record those videos... It is just that I forgot to mention
it before :P

>> OK, now it is time to show the project in action. To do this, I have
>> recorded three videos showing tutorials made with KTutorial for
>> showFoto, Kdenlive and Gwenview:
>> http://ktutorial.sourceforge.net/files/showfoto-levelsAdjust.ogv
>> (based on http://userbase.kde.org/Showfoto/Levels_Adjust)
>> http://ktutorial.sourceforge.net/files/kdenlive-simpleSlideTransitionBetween
>> TwoClips.ogv
>> http://ktutorial.sourceforge.net/files/gwenview-fullScreenInterface.ogv
>
> Those tutorials look really nice :-)

Thank you very much :)

>> http://ktutorial.wordpress.com/2012/08/30/example-of-ktutorial-for-the-real
>> -world-gwenview/
>
> The gwenview one has a nasty hack, but i think it should be sortable with
> enough qobject master-y.

I'm pretty aware of the nastiness of the hack, I don't like it either ;)

> So i'd say, it would be great if the library could be used to make tutorials
> like the ones you made. Sadly we can't use it at the moment :./

If the problem is GPLv2 only code in the KDE stack, will relicensing
KTutorial to GPLv2+ && GPLv3+ (until it can be relicensed back to
GPLv3+ ;) ) be enough?

> Also I think we'd all welcome you to develop in git.kde.org instead of in
> sourceforge where it's more difficult to get KDE people to "see" your project.

It is hosted in SourceForge due to "historic reasons". I think too
that it would be better to develop KTutorial on git.kde.org instead.