List:       kde-devel
Subject:    Re: Introducing KTutorial, a library for interactive tutorials in KDE applications
From:       Albert Astals Cid <aacid () kde ! org>
Date:       2012-08-30 20:52:08

El Dijous, 30 d'agost de 2012, a les 20:09:14, Daniel Calvi=F1o S=E1nchez v=
a =

escriure:
> Hi,

Hi :-)

> [...]

> =

> KTutorial is a library (and a graphical editor) for interactive
> tutorials in KDE applications. The tutorials are embedded in the
> applications themselves, and react to the actions of the user. For
> example, if the user clicks on a button, the tutorial advances and
> shows new information to the user.
> =

> Now some details about the project will follow. If you prefer to just
> see the project in action, after the details you will find links to
> some videos ;)
> =

> The tutorials can be written in C++ or in a script language supported
> by Kross (Javascript is recommended, as its backend is installed by
> default; Python or Ruby, on the other hand, may not be installed in
> the system). Instead of programming them, the tutorials can be made
> using KTutorial editor, which is the graphical editor of the project
> (in the end, the editor just exports the tutorials to Javascript to be
> used by the library).
> =

> The editor provides an introspection system to ease the making of
> tutorials. This system, which works using D-Bus, can be used to know,
> for example, the signals that an object in the target application (the
> application the tutorial is being made for) can emit. Unfortunately,
> right now the editor has a very technical orientation; I would like to
> make it more usable by non-technical users in the next release.
> =

> One of the key points of KTutorial is that, besides calling the setup
> method of KTutorial, you do not have to modify the code of the
> application. You can, though, and it will make certain tutorials
> easier to write or more interactive (specially scripted tutorials),
> but you do not have to. KTutorial "observes" what happens in the
> application and reacts to it, but it does not need explicit
> notifications from the application. To achieve this, KTutorial makes
> extensive use of Qt Meta-Object system (signals and properties).
> =

> Finally, although KTutorial provides a default interface for KDE
> applications, you can customize the interface instead of using the
> default one (which is a dialog to show the tutorials, and a floating
> widget to show the tutorials themselves).
> =

> Having said all this, there is a problem you must be aware of.
> Although it can be used by applications at this time, it is still in
> development, and it does not have a stable API (so no stable ABI
> either) yet. Anyway, the FindKTutorial CMake module has version
> support, so it can be looked for the exact version instead of
> accepting any version equal to or higher than X.Y.Z.
> =

> Also note that, even being a library, it is licensed under the GPLv3+
> (not the LGPL), so it can be used only by free (as in freedom)

This limits the use in KDE applications since GPLv3+ is not valid for KDE =

applications according to our licensing policy (meaning you can't even use =
it =

in the applications you mention below)

> =

> OK, now it is time to show the project in action. To do this, I have
> recorded three videos showing tutorials made with KTutorial for
> showFoto, Kdenlive and Gwenview:
> http://ktutorial.sourceforge.net/files/showfoto-levelsAdjust.ogv
> (based on http://userbase.kde.org/Showfoto/Levels_Adjust)
> http://ktutorial.sourceforge.net/files/kdenlive-simpleSlideTransitionBetw=
een
> TwoClips.ogv
> http://ktutorial.sourceforge.net/files/gwenview-fullScreenInterface.ogv

Those tutorials look really nice :-)

> =

> An explanation of the changes made in each application, the tutorial
> sources made with KTutorial editor, and the patch to add support for
> KTutorial in each application can be seen in these blog posts:
> http://ktutorial.wordpress.com/2012/08/24/example-of-ktutorial-for-the-re=
al-
> world-showfoto/
> http://ktutorial.wordpress.com/2012/08/28/example-of-ktutorial-for-the-re=
al
> -world-kdenlive/
> http://ktutorial.wordpress.com/2012/08/30/example-of-ktutorial-for-the-re=
al
> -world-gwenview/

The gwenview one has a nasty hack, but i think it should be sortable with =

enough qobject master-y.

So i'd say, it would be great if the library could be used to make tutorial=
s =

like the ones you made. Sadly we can't use it at the moment :./

Also I think we'd all welcome you to develop in git.kde.org instead of in =

sourceforge where it's more difficult to get KDE people to "see" your proje=
ct.

Cheers,
  Albert